Q: Why was my address changed?

A: By participating in the Statewide Addressing & Mapping Project, counties are responsible for making sure that all residential & commercial structures are addressed in accordance to modern public safety addressing standards.

Q: Why did my house number change?

A: First and foremost – for public safety reasons. The USPS is phasing out its use of HC and RR style addresses and adopting the physical style address system. When there are problems with an existing city-style address that could create confusion for emergency responders, the structure in question will be readdressed. If there are multiple problems on a given road, the entire road may be readdressed. These problems may include, but are not limited to: house numbers that are out of sequence duplicate house numbers addresses that include ‘A’s & ‘B’s added to the same house number odd & even house numbers on the same sides of the street

Q: Why was my road named?

A: If a shared driveway meets the criteria as outlined by county ordinance, then it will be named and the homes accessed from it will be addressed off the new road.

Q: Why is there such a large gap in between my house number and my next-door neighbor’s?

A: Newly addressed roads are assigned numbers using a 5.28 foot interval system, which allows for 1,000 addresses per mile (500 odd numbers & 500 even numbers). This interval system provides a means for emergency responders to quickly calculate the location of an emergency caller.

Q: How does the new address affect my mail?

A: If you receive home delivery, you will have approximately one year to update all correspondence to the new address. If you have a PO Box, your mail will not be affected.

Q: Do I have to pay for a new Driver’s License or Registration?

A: No. Residents are not required to get a new license, but they are required to notify the DMV of their change of address. This can be done, at no cost to the resident, by completing the WV DMV’s Change of Address Form. This will update all driver’s licenses, titles, registrations and handicap placards in the DMV system and can be done in person at a local DMV branch or via mail. The form is available for download at: WVDOT

Q: Do I have to get new checks?

A: No. You should be able to use up your current checks within the one year transitional period mentioned above.